As I pulled out of my driveway yesterday on the way to work, I started daydreaming again. You guessed it…Key West. Workday blues have been a common part of my existence and I find it tough to stay in the moment when the moment isn’t Key West or some other relaxing destination with amazing food and cold drinks. I debated pulling the wheel left and heading south.(a common workday blues scenario for me) I reached down to pull my shirt out of its tuck when I realized my wife wouldn’t be very happy as I called her from the seven mile bridge to let her know I’d be back Sunday. Oh well. I continued on my way to resume the day to day grind, untucked the back of my shirt so it was covered by my suit coat, tuned in some Michael McCloud on Spotify and reminded myself of our next vacation. What happened next was my normal, long string of thoughts about packing it all up and getting a tiny place in the Keys to carve out a life serving drinks and waiting tables. Fortunately I came back to Earth in time to finish my guest post for Real Florida Vacations about keeping your Florida vacation on budget and decided to share the wealth of resources that help me kick the workday blues on a day to day basis.
Workday blues can be a debilitating disease that hampers productivity in the workplace. As much as we don’t want to believe it our day to day work is what allows us to enjoy these wonderful vacations and the better job you do at work the more flexibility(read leverage) you have in things like scheduling vacations, or better yet, negotiating more vacation days. So check ‘em out and hopefully you can use some of these to help you get through those times when you need to get your mind off the grind!
- Jimmy Buffett – Undisputed music champion of all things WDD and still kicking out new CD’s!
- Kenny Chesney – Fans of country music and Florida travel can’t go wrong here.
- Michael McCloud - Doesn’t have a huge following but if you’ve been to the Schooner Wharf Bar you know he can entertain.
- Zac Brown Band – Ever heard “Knee Deep”? We themed a whole vacation around it!
- Blue Highways - Written by William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways is an amazing travel story written by a guy who lost it all and packed up a van to travel the country.
- Florida Authentica – Author Ron Wiggins does an excellent job of showing you some Florida fun outside of the cities.
- Into the Wild – The book the movie was based on. Dreaming of selling it all and hitting the road? Check this out and it might change your mind.
- The Power of Now – Excellent resource to help bring you out of the funk and focused on the now. (hopefully the now is planning your next vacation!)
- EverythingEverywhere – Travel blog by Gary Arndt with awesome stories about travel all around the world….or I guess…everywhere!
- Blog the Beach – A smattering of information on different Florida beaches.
- NamadicMatt – Site dedicated to traveling on the cheap for long periods of time.
- Tripadvisor – Of course Tripadvisor is on the list! Reading peoples trip reports and reviews on destinations is my number one source of escapism right now!
Workday blues are extremely common so take solace in the fact that you aren’t alone. The more well known “Sunday Blues” even has its own Wikipedia entry! If you feel them coming on don’t let it ruin your day. Think about your next vacation and dive in to one of these resources and you’ll be back at it in no time. We also send out a Sunday night motivational quote to those on our mailing list, so sign up below and in addition to that you will receive free vacation tips and reviews. Got another resource to help kick the workday blues? Share it in the comments.
Cheers and happy travels,